Thursday, April 08, 2010

Nothing's Ever Easy

On Monday of this week, my father came and installed a shelving unit that he had made for us for out family room. He is a dentist by profession but he is also a master craftsman when it comes to woodworking.

The unit he built for us is incredible and contains shelves and a place to put a television which we also purchased this week (with money he gave us for Christmas to help pay for it). He had purchased a universal TV wall mount that was already installed. All we needed to do was hook up our TV and hang it on the mount...or so we thought.

Monday night, I began the process of doing this when I found that the mounting kit did not have the right sized bolts to screw into the back of our TV. So, off to the hardware store I went to get different bolts. Well, those didn't fit either. So back I went. I got two other sizes and those didn't fit. At that point, the hardware store had closed, so the next day I got the size I needed.

Last night, Connie and I began the installation and found that the bolts (now the correct size) wouldn't fit through the brackets of the mount. I called their customer service line and was told that their "universal" wall mount was not compatible with our TV. So...it is still not installed. We have some ideas that might work, but it is going to take some work.

It seems that nothing is ever easy (especially if it involves me doing something like this).

Same is true in life. Many people I know have told me that they thought their lives would be filled with much less problems after they became a Christ follower. They were surprised to find that that is not the case. Christian or not, we will all face challenges. Those challenges are easier to handle though when you have Him in your corner.

"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."
Jesus in John 16:33

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jim you forgot the most important tool to get any job done. All you needed was a hammer. It probably would not have made the tv hang but you would have felt much better when the wall mount was on the floor and you were pumbling it with a vengence.

Jim Lange said...

Greg, great point. See, I'm not very good at this handy man stuff!