Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Respecting Authority

Many of you know that I had a bad boss a while back which led me to write my book, Bleedership, Biblical First-Aid for Leaders. Even though my boss was not very good, if he asked me to do something I did not agree with, I did it (as long as it was not unethical and did not violate Biblical principles). This was hard, but I did it because he was my boss and in authority over me.

This morning, I heard Peyton Manning, the quarterback of the Indianapolis Colts talking with a reporter about the retirement of Tony Dungy, his former coach and the new coach, Jim Caldwell. He said something that I thought was awesome.

About Coach Caldwell, Manning said, "I'm prepared for all the changes. I will be at meetings early and sitting in the front row and will be on my best behavior. I will do this to do right by him and do my best to win another championship."

Here is the guy who has won a Super Bowl, he is starting in this year's Pro Bowl and has been MVP of the league. Yet, he gets it. He is showing respect to his head coach and will do what is asked of him because he knows that is in the best interest of his team. Isn't this refreshing?

By the way, if you are working for a tough boss, I would encourage you to follow Peyton Manning's example and listen to what they say, even if you don't agree with it.

Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every authority instituted among men...
1 Peter 2:13a

No comments: