Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Power of Failure

I was watching Joyce Meyer on TV with my wife Connie a few days ago. She had John Maxwell on as her guest. To be honest with you, I can't remember what it was they were talking about exactly. However, I remember one thing that John Maxwell said that has still stuck with me.

He said, "We impress people with our success but we impact people with our failures."

Wow. I know this to be true, but why is this?

Here are a few reasons why I agree with Maxwell that we impact others through failures more so than through successes:
  • I listen to people who seem like they have it all together. But I really listen if they reveal to me that they have failed. Perhaps it is their humility that draws me toward them. Humility significantly increases the chance of making an impact.
  • All of us fail at times. We are thus able to relate more easily to those who have also failed.
  • When someone is really hurting about something, who else can best speak to that wound? Someone who has been wounded in the same way.
So remember, God never wastes a hurt. Fail forward!

No comments: