Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Letting Go

First it was daughter # 1, Kristin, who moved out last month. Now, # 2, Molly, is leaving the nest. Tomorrow we begin the trek to move her to the Chicago area.

I have to admit, when I first heard of Mol’s plans last year, I was a bit skeptical. I wasn’t sure she would actually do it and I wasn’t convinced it was a great idea. Not because Molly isn’t capable. She’s one of the most talented people I know (really—she’s not only beautiful, but she’s an incredible people person, very like-able and good at just about everything she puts her mind to).

Over time though, my mind has been changed. I truly believe that Mol will soar while on her own. I am convinced this is going to be a great move for her as she embarks on her life sans her parents.

I think the majority of my early reluctance about Mol moving was due to my hesitancy to let go. I wanted her to remain under my “roof” so I could continue to protect and care for her. Also, I’m certainly not old enough to have TWO children depart our home, right?

I have come to realize that if we kept Molly at home, she would not fully be able to become the person God created her to be. She needs some life experiences, good and bad, to develop herself and to learn.

As I was pondering this, it occurred to me that this same principle holds true while leading people on the job. We may adequately train them but we may be hesitant to let them go as they may not do it the same way we would. Or, heaven forbid, they might not do it correctly. As a leader, there comes a point when we must let go and let people flourish or fail. Either way is good as it provides confidence and/or great learning opportunities.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.
Proverbs 3:5-6

No comments: