Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I Quit



Have you ever felt like giving up? How about at work? Did you ever just want to tell your boss those famous lyrics, "Take this job and shove it"?

A couple of days ago I put up a post for those who have a Bad Job. Based on the comments received, it has struck a nerve.

One commenter had this to say, "Thanks for the post. I'm going through some crises in my work right now and through out the week I had thought about just quitting, but now I plan on first be thankful to God for the job and the opportunities it has brought my way and secondly change my attitude towards it.(God help me!!!)."

Haven't we all been there before? I know I sure have. This person is making the choice to embrace his or her situation and to look for the good in it. That is awesome!

The one thing that struck me when reading this comment was that, if we are truly looking for a greater purpose in our work, tough times bring about terrific opportunities--in fact, greater opportunities than times of prosperity. It is during challenges that others are typically looking at you to see how you will react.

Look at what is happening in Major League Baseball right now. It is 24/7 coverage of the steroid issue because of Alex Rodriguez's admission that he used performance-enhancing drugs. Everyone is tuning in to see how he will react because he is in hot water.

The same is true of us where you are. If you can act in a Christ-like way, amazing seeds can be planted. Perhaps, someone might even ask you how you are able to react the way you do. Then, you have an open door to share what God is doing in your life.

Embrace the challenge...it can lead to much good!

Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect.
1 Peter 3:15b

No comments: