Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Time Change a "Mini Y2K" in Tech Terms



Daylight savings time is being moved up this year and begins this Saturday. I didn't realize this was going to be such a big deal. In a New York Times article about the change in daylight savings time they discuss the impact this seemingly harmless change will have:

“This is mainly an annoyance for consumers, but it’s a major headache for corporate technology departments,” said Jeffrey Hammond, an analyst at Forrester Research.

For the roughly 7,000 public companies in the United States, Mr. Hammond estimates the total cost of making computer fixes to deal with the daylight saving time shift at more than $350 million. “It’s causing a lot of corporate technology people sleepless nights,” he said.

I don't know about you, but it's really easy for me to shake my head and say that Congress really should think things through before passing laws - they need to get a clue.

But then I am reminded of all the times I have done things before thinking them through. The time as a kid I threw rocks at our neighbor's brand new car. The time I... well you get the idea.

In our workplace, we need to remember that we are being watched. We must think through our actions because our actions really do have reactions and long term implications.

No comments: