Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Leaving a Bad Boss - Is it a Good Idea?


I ran across an interesting article in International Business Times about employees and bad bosses. It seems employees are leaving their tyrannical environments in droves:

Everyone's worked for a bad boss at some point in their career, but it seems the tables are turning, with employees increasingly walking out on maddening managers.


A new survey has found 82 per cent of office workers have quit a job rather than put up with an outrageous boss. Chandler Macleod's Recruitment Solutions general manager Lorraine Christopher said with the unemployment rate at a 32-year low, companies needed to start training their managers.

Over 75 per cent of survey respondents claimed they'd knock back a job with better pay if the manager had a poor reputation. Ms Christopher said the survey proved "people don't leave organisations, they leave bad bosses".

Many of you know I left a company due to a bad boss. He even inspired me to write the book, Bleedership, Biblical First-Aid for Leaders. However, I am not convinced we should all leave bad bosses.

I remained in my career under my boss for over a year and a half before God showed me I needed to move on. During that time however, I had many opportunities to share my faith with those I worked with. Tough circumstances tend to do that - to bring people together and provide opportunities to discuss spiritual things.

So don't immediately think that because you have a bad boss, you need to get out of Dodge. God may want you there for a purpose greater than you can imagine.

No comments: