Thursday, March 18, 2010

Servanthood

I just completed a great day in meetings with two of the three Bishops from my church's denomination. Included in the meeting were myself and three others who all work outside of the local church. We were asked to be part of the Commission on Leadership Development for our denomination.

This is the third year for us gathering together and each of our meetings have produced some really cool things. Today was no exception.

Despite all the neat stuff that happened today, two things have stood out to me. Bishop Matt, who is the leader of this charge, volunteered to pick us all up at the airport and deliver us to the hotel in which we were staying. Since we were all coming from different parts of the country, this meant multiple trips for him.
We were told to call him when we arrived and he would come to get us. I happened to be on the connecting flight with one of the other members of the team and he had an old friend pick him up. They offered to take me to the hotel so I thought I would save Matt a trip.

When I arrived I received a phone call from Matt. He said he went to the airport to look for me. It then hit me that he anticipated my call and wanted to be there waiting for me so that I didn't have to wait. He didn't want me inconvenienced...and it ended up that he was the one inconvenienced which I felt bad about.

Then during our meetings, he would occasionally get up from his seat throughout the day and come behind one of us to massage our shoulders during our discussions. He did this last year too but it had slipped my mind.

To some, this all may not seem like a big deal, but to me this is huge. Here is someone who is at the top position within his field and he is going out of his way to serve me! What a great example!

"For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many."
Mark 10:45

No comments: