Monday, December 03, 2007

Pride Before The Fall


On Saturday I was a very interested observer of some of the college football games. Even though my team, the Ohio State Buckeyes weren't playing, their fate lied int he balance. If Missouri lost to Oklahoma or if West Virginia lost to Pittsburgh, then the Buckeyes would play for the BCS National Title.

As I watched ESPN's College Gameday that morning, the announcers all said the same thing regarding the chances of West Virginia losing. They all said it was impossible. They were debating how big they would win--by 5 or 6 touchdowns.

Kirk Herbstreit even went on to say something like this, "Congratulations West Virginia, you are headed to New Orleans to play for the National Championship!"

Later that evening, West Virginia (and Missouri) found themselves on the short end of the score.

While I was thrilled with the outcomes of these games, I was reminded of the times when my pride has preceded a fall for me. Pretty painful stuff. But a good reminder to us all.


Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall. Proverbs 16:18

No comments: