Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Angry Horn


I was outside doing yard work this weekend when I heard 4 successive blasts from a car horn. Then I heard 5 more. It's weird, but I could tell there was anger behind the horn blasts. It wasn't a friendly "beep beep" but rather a "honk, honk, honk, honk!"

My next door neighbor's daughter was being picked up by her mother. They are divorced and she gets her daughter on certain weekends. Apparently she wasn't very happy.

I got to thinking about all the ways we communicate. If we can communicate how we're feeling through our car horn, how much more do you think we communicate through our facial expressions or our mannerisms.

One of my family's favorite movies is Disney's Toy Story. In one scene Mrs. Potato Head tells Mr. Potato Head to make sure not to forget his angry eyes. Don't we all have angry eyes?

The Bible tells us throughout to be an encouragement to others. Let's do that not only through our words but also through our non-verbals.

No comments: