Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Pride Before the Fall

I'm on vacation in the Smoky Mountains with my family and my dad, my step-mom, two of my sisters and their families. Two days ago, we took a great hike to Grotto Falls which is pictured above.

I have been here many times and remembered it as a short, relatively easy hike. After all, it is only 1.2 miles up to the falls. It is a hike we typically take with the younger kids since it is not too difficult.

Well, about 1/4 of a mile into the hike I was huffing and puffing. It was harder than I remembered. In fact, I was not ready for the hike. I usually wear two pair of socks when I hike and I only wore one for this "easy" hike. I also didn't lace up my hiking boots very tightly as I felt I wouldn't need them very tight.
On the way down I paid for it. I didn't fall, but my pride cost me. I stepped on a root and turned my ankle. As a result I was unable to hike yesterday (thankfully I was able to hike today!).

This is not much different than my everyday life when pride gets the best of me and I eventually pay for it. Oh well, one of these days I hope I can learn this lesson.

No comments: