Thursday, July 12, 2007

Whale Done

I just finished doing an audio book summary of the book Whale Done, by Ken Blanchard (I do this once per quarter for select members of my Bleedership group: my doctor members, my business owner members and my Platinum individual members). In the book, one of the overriding themes is to accentuate the positive and not dwell on the negative. This is oftentimes easier said than done.

I tend to think of myself as an optimist - one that views things in a positive light (most of the time). Yet, yesterday I received a magazine in my mailbox that was supposed to go to one of my neighbors. His street name is similar to mine and they have the same number on their address as mine so this is not an uncommon occurrence. This is probably the third time this year I have received this magazine in error.

I guess it is because the magazine is all about computer stuff is the reason I remember it. I could care less about that stuff.

I was a little frustrated by this. I thought, I can't believe the post office can't get this right! What is the matter with them?

I am a little embarrassed that this got to me. Why did this make me upset? Maybe if his Sports Illustrated accidentally got delivered to me, I would have been fine as I could have gotten a glimpse at something that I'm interested in - but I more than likely would have still been miffed.

So here I am, I had just completed this book summary where the author told me to accentuate the positive and not pay attention to negative behavior. And what did I immediately do? I didn't even think about how many pieces of mail the post office delivers correctly every day. I chose to focus on the ONE piece of mail that was delivered to me in error!

Hopefully we can all learn from this. If we can, it will help us at home, at work and in all our relationships.

1 comment:

Crydo said...

Great book.
Great concept.
Easy to understand.
Harder to do!
But - it works!
I'll keep trying!