Thursday, July 05, 2007

Why I Love America


Zig Ziglar writes:

I turned 17 on a Saturday and applied to the Navy the following Monday when World War II was being fought. I was waving the flag then and am waving the flag today.

I’m not as avid a flag waver as third generation flag waver Tom Harken from Beaumont, Texas, and since his son now does the same thing, that makes four generations of Harkens who wave the flag like nobody I’ve ever heard of! He has three flags in front of his corporate offices and one large flag in front of each of his Crazy Jose’s and Casa Ole restaurants. Each of his employees in all of these establishments waves the flag in front of his or her home.

As a boy, Tom had a considerable number of illnesses and fell through the educational cracks. As a result, he did not learn to read until he was 28 years old. Despite this fact, through hard work and persistence, he had done well even before he could read. In 1992 he was recognized as a Horatio Alger Award winner, surely the top recognition anyone receives in America for their “rags to riches” story. Tom shared with me that he never dreamed he would earn as much money as he now contributes to a number of worthwhile charities. He is a strong advocate of literacy and preaches and contributes to it everywhere he goes. Yes, Tom Harken is one reason I love America.

I also love America because of Muggsy Bogues. At age 36, Muggsy has played in the NBA for 14 years... (click here to read the rest).

No comments: