Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Under Pressure

Yesterday, my wife Connie called me. At that exact moment I felt I had about 14 things that needed to be done in the next 4 minutes. In 4 minutes I needed to leave for an appointment. I was stressed.

Needless to say, I was not as pleasant as I should have been with my wife. She was simply calling to share part of her day with me and I was very short with her.

In spite of the way I acted, I believe being calm under pressure while we are at work is one of the best ways we can show others the effect of Christ on us. Most people are not very nice and they are typically short with others (like I was with Connie) when they are under pressure.

In Bleedership, I devoted an entire chapter to Calm Leadership - that's how important I think this is.

Many people have told me that being calm is not their nature. I believe it is a choice. I just read something that Joyce Meyer wrote which said, if you are in the middle of one of your tantrums and your pastor knocked at your door, would you put on a calm front to greet him or her? Most would do that which proves this is a choice. Let's make that choice. It can have a significant impact on those who don't know Jesus.

No comments: