Monday, November 19, 2007

The Little Things


Yesterday afternoon my son, Robbie and I raked leaves. We are fortunate where we live as we are able to burn leaves which makes it kind of fun (my son and I have a pyro streak in us!).

Anyway, the leaves were a little damp from the previous day's rain so they didn't burn real well; however, they did burn well enough to get rid of them. About two hours after starting the fire it was just smoking and I figured it would eventually burn out.

This morning as I left for work, I noticed a flame in the pile of leaves. I was amazed. 14 hours after starting the fire it was still burning. There must have been a couple of embers that kept up the good fight and this morning they caused an actual flame to appear.

This was an encouragement to me. Sometimes I feel like the small things I do day in and day out don't really matter. But this fire reminded me that even the seemingly inconsequential things can develop into something important if I just stick with it.

No comments: