Monday, January 05, 2009

Sabbath

One of my goals in 2009 is to do a much better job of practicing a Sabbath. I have known for a long time that it is one of the 10 commandments, yet, I haven't taken it very seriously. After all, I have lots of stuff to do!

I am starting to look at it a little differently, thanks to God's whispers (and sometimes shouts) in my ear. I am beginning to see a day of rest as a gift to me from God. When I don't take advantage of that and accept that gift, I will be less effective the rest of my week. I will actually be robbing myself.

Yesterday, I had a day of rest and, while it was a bit awkward at first (I was still looking for things to do from time to time), I thoroughly enjoyed it. I do feel more refreshed and ready to take on this week. Thanks God!

"Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, nor your animals, nor the alien within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy."
Exodus 20:8-11

No comments: