Thursday, January 29, 2009

TGIF

A great friend of mine owns a business in my community. He told me that for about ten straight weeks he would wear all black on Fridays. At about week seven, one of his employees noticed and said, "Bob, why are you always wearing black on Fridays?"

Bob responded by saying, "Because I am sad that this week is coming to an end and I will have to wait until Monday to see all of you again."

Kind of different, huh? And, very cool!

It seems in the workplace that everyone can't wait for Friday. In fact, I have seen studies which show that the highest incidence of suicide is on Sunday nights because people generally dread Mondays. Sad.

We all seem to live for Friday...for the weekend. TGIF is a famous acronym and I think we all know what it stands for. A restaurant chain has even become famous using it in their name.

Bob's attitude above is a tremendous one we all can adopt about our work. You see, Bob gets it. He realizes that his work has a much greater purpose than just providing a paycheck for him and his family.

We have influence over others each and every day and when we begin to realize this, we know that we can have an affect on their lives. It is our choice as to whether we make a positive or negative impact on them. God wants us to choose to have a positive impact.

If we can really get this, each and every day we can say, "Thank God It's Today!"

So let's change our thinking from "Thank God It's Friday" to "Today God Is First!" And who knows...you may even start singing like the Seven Dwarfs, "Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's Off To Work I Go!"

7 comments:

Ancoti said...

I figured out a way to deal with Friday workdays. I call it retirement. I should have thought of it years ago!

Jim Lange said...

Thanks for checking in Andy! Retirement sounds nice at times, but some of us are still battling in the trenches and have a choice as to how to deal with it! Blessings to you!

Anonymous said...

hiho!

Anonymous said...

I found your blog through High Calling Blogs this morning, Jim. Nice post!

I've had similar thoughts about this while watching Monster.com commercials. "Double Take" and "Your calling is calling" are two in particular.

Jim Lange said...

Thanks for checking in Sam! I took a look at your Blog and I liked it very much, expecially the two videos you shared. I appreciate all you do for Him! Keep up the great work!

Religion Free Jesus said...

If we are in Christ we are an Ambassador of His Kingdom to the world. As such we represent his values, and interests to the world where ever we are. Even the world recognizes this dynamic and has all kinds of things to say most not positive. We either present them well or not. I think if most of us were consciously aware of this at work it would change the way we view our work if we would consider that everything we do is spiritual and our work is our ministry. Some call this missional living.

Jim Lange said...

Amen! Thanks for checking in! Continue to be blessed to be a blessing!