Monday, March 16, 2009

Lessons in Humility


I mentioned that I was traveling last week. The reason for my trip was that I was asked to be part of a Commission on Leadership Development for my church's denomination. In our meeting were the three North American bishops, one pastor and five "lay" people.

Matt, one of our bishops who was leading the meeting, taught me something about servant-hood and humility. During discussions, he would periodically get up and rub someone's neck and shoulders. He did this to me at least twice during the day and a half we were together. At first, it felt a little funny. But then I began to enjoy it and see it for what it was--Matt serving each of us.

I imagine it would be easy for Matt to feel he was above each of us, especially those not employed by the denomination. But that is not how he is. These acts of service left an impression on me...it truly meant a lot to me and it left me to wonder how I can better serve those around me.

The other impression I had from these meetings was that I felt inadequate. This room was filled with some incredibly talented people who had some amazing gifts. I was wondering why I was there. I felt as if I was not bringing much to the table.

I have a tendency to want to do things on my own. This is more than likely a pride issue. I feel that God was showing me that if I am going to be successful at anything, I will need Him and others round me...I cannot do it on my own. I know this in my head, however, I must need to get this in my heart, because this message came through loud and clear last week.

I truly was humbled...hopefully I can stay there.

"God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble."
James 4:6b

No comments: