Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Community

Last night I went in my oldest daughter's (she's 20) room to say good night and to give her a kiss. She had a friend over and they were both sitting cross-legged on the bed just talking. They had been in there for a couple of hours and when I went in it looked like they were having a blast.

I thought that was very cool. As I am getting ready to leave for a breakfast appointment with a good friend and former co-worker, I am struck by how similar both of our encounters will be.

My daughter's took place sitting in her bedroom while mine will be in a restaurant. However, they both involve community and doing life together. I am looking forward to getting together with my friend because I haven't seen him in a while and I can't wait to catch up on what is going on in his life.

It didn't used to be this way for me. I used to do my best to not let anyone in. I especially didn't want anyone to know my secrets or my failures. Once I got over myself and began to share myself, the good, the bad and the ugly, I found freedom.

I encourage you to do the same!

Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.
Ecclesiastes 4:12

No comments: