Thursday, October 22, 2009

Suspended

My 13 year-old son Robbie, came home sobbing from school on Monday. It seems that someone in gym class came up behind him and choked him.

Later in the day I found out what led up to that. This kid was teasing Robbie and calling him names and not using nice language. Robbie said he was just ignoring it until after they ran the one mile run. Robbie said this other kid was teasing him about how slow he ran and started with more name calling. Robbie said he had had enough so he pushed him. That is when the other kid grabbed Robbie from behind in a choke hold.

Yesterday, the assistant principal talked to all the parties involved. Robbie ended up being suspended for a day because he pushed the other boy. The other kid was suspended for the remainder of this week. While I don't like my son being suspended, I think this is pretty fair.

I asked Robbie if being choked like that hurt. He said, "Yes, but not as much as being teased in front of everyone."

My heart ached for him and still does. This is more proof that our words are very powerful. They have the power to build others up or to tear them down.

The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit.
Proverbs 18:21

2 comments:

WKen said...

I'm so sorry.

I can't tell you how much this breaks my heart, too. I've been the kid who was teased, and my son has been bullied verbally and (once) physically.

I hate it ... and it's too bad that your son has to be punished because he was pushed into a snapping point. I understand why, and I suppose I'll grudgingly admit that it's fair; but part of me wants to suspend some school officials for not supervising the kids enough to prevent it from getting this far.

Jim Lange said...

Wickle, thanks for your kind words. I could not agree with you more with you. This made me pretty angry...angry at the kid and angry at the school officials. Even though I know God will use it for good, it is still very painful. But, through it all God is good!