Friday, October 30, 2009

Cut From The Team

My 13 year-old son, Robbie spent the past two afternoons sweating with 51 other 8th grade boys trying out for their school's basketball team. I was able to watch the last half hour of both days of tryouts.

It quickly became apparent to me that Robbie would not be making the team. Many of the kids were well ahead of him in their ability and knowledge of the game.

As I watched him though, I was impressed, because he gave it everything he had. He probably knew that he was not going to make it. However, he was running hard and making great V-cuts (a move used to get open on offense). These were things that most of the other kids were not doing.

In spite of his efforts, Robbie did not make the team.

However, I am extremely proud of my son. He tried. And he tried with all his heart. What more can you ask for?

I am also proud of the way he handled hearing the news that he would not be on the team. When I asked him what his thoughts were, he replied, "I'm disappointed but I'll just have to try again next year."


Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.
Colossians 3:23-24

No comments: