Thursday, January 28, 2010

Definition of Success

I was asked way back in October, I think, by a friend of mine if I would come and speak to a group of business leaders. My friend owns a very successful business and he decided that he would gather business leaders together to hear speakers who can speak on different business topics. He felt this would encourage the community and could possibly even help his business. The first three of his get-togethers have been very successful with about 50 leaders at each event.

This morning was my turn to speak and I had been looking forward to it as this is something I really enjoy doing. When I woke up this morning I saw there was around an inch of fresh snow on the ground and it was very windy outside. I didn't think much of it though.

When I arrived, it became apparent that the blustery weather was keeping people home. By the name badges that were prepared, it looked like there was over 50 people registered. Yet, only a fraction of that showed, probably 15-20 people.

From my perspective, it appeared that the morning went very well. It seemed like everyone was engaged and having fun and I believe they all took something from our time together. In addition, many gave me some very nice feedback which is always nice.

On my way back to my office I was reflecting on my morning I received a revelation of sorts. Typically, I would have been quite discouraged that so few people showed up to hear me speak. I would have viewed the event as a failure. Today was different. I believe God is trying to teach me to change my definition of success. He wants me to just do my part and leave the results up to Him.

I have not "arrived" by any means, but for today I am trusting Him that the people that He wanted there were there. I am viewing the morning as a success. Thank you Lord!

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight.
Proverbs 3:5-6

3 comments:

@bibledude said...

I've been in a similar postion before, and agree that it is easy to get discouraged when this happens. So I really appreciate your perspective on what it means to be successful. You did what was required of you so you were successful... we can't control the rest...

Thanks!
Dan King

Anonymous said...

those definitions are tricky little things. we seem to need them to some degree to get by, but, then again some times we try and hold onto them too tightly.

...in all your ways acknowledge Him...good words for me to carry.

Jim Lange said...

Dan and Nancy, thanks so much for your perspective and your encouragement. I appreciate you checking in! Blessings to you!