Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Young Leaders


How many of you when you think about young people immediately have negative thoughts? How many of you think their work ethic is lacking? How many think their level of respect is well below the standard? My guess is that many feel this way.

I was asked to speak this morning before school to a group of student-athletes at Sylvania Northview High School (my alma mater). These kids gather together every Tuesday morning at 7:00 to honor God. They make up the school's huddle for Fellowship of Christian Athletes.

As I was interacting with this group, it dawned on me. These students are light years ahead of where I was at their age. I mean, there really is no comparison.

At that age, I was so concerned about what everyone thought of me. I knew nothing of God. I knew nothing about respecting and loving others. Here they are meeting early in the morning, to honor Christ. I'm sure they catch some flack from other students, yet they get together anyway. They are showing that they play to an audience of One. They are true leaders.

I am sure they asked me to come in to share something with them from my past experiences that might have a positive impact on them. I hope that happened. But I know for sure that they had an impact on me!

One thing I was reminded of is that I need to not be so quick to judge others, especially those younger than me. I don't know about you but that encourages me today and gives me great hope about the next generation!

Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.
1 Timothy 4:12

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Jimmy, Thank you for speaking at North View HS this morning. I hope my daughter heard your message, Miss. Suzanne. We have and believe in your book. Blessings to you, Joanne Brown Glover . Former Nursing Student at Toledo Hospital School of Nursing. Member of your wedding ceremony.

Jim Lange said...

Joanne, great to hear from you! I hope you are well! I don't think Suzanne was there but I could be mistaken. Thanks so much for checking in! I'll be sure to tell Con you said Hi!

Leonard G said...

Grateful for you writing this blog