Wednesday, January 06, 2010

How's Your Thinking?

Yesterday afternoon I went to Massage Envy for my monthly massage, a practice I began a few months ago. I was with a new therapist who was recommended to me by a friend and as I asked her questions about her background, she revealed that she was from out of town and moved here about five years ago.

When I asked her how she liked Toledo, she said, "I love Toledo. They've got an awesome museum, a fantastic zoo. It's easy to get around. The people are friendly. There are lots of choices for schools. It's a great place!"

Wow! Was that ever refreshing to hear. I echo her comments as I, too, love living in this area. However, it seems that whenever I open up our newspaper or turn on the TV, I hear about how bad Toledo is. I also hear this from many that I know. They may complain about the cold in the winter and then complain that it's too hot in the summer. Or it might be that it is so grey in the winter, then it too bright in the summer or any number of other things.

I was reminded of a story I heard in which a guy pulls up at a gas station heading into town. He asks the attendant, "Are the people friendly in the town up ahead? I'm moving there from out of town."

The attendant replied, "What were the people like in your old home town?"

"They were the most unfriendly people you've ever seen. They were downright mean."

"Well, I'm afraid the people in this town are the same way."

About an hour later another car pulled up, "Are the people friendly in the town up ahead? I'm moving there from out of town."

"What were the people like in your old home town?"

"They were great people, very friendly and welcoming."

"That's exactly the type of people who live here as well!"

So how's you're thinking?

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
Philippians 4:8

1 comment: