Thursday, January 21, 2010

Friends

In my last post, I shared about the value of having people in your life who can challenge you, who will love you no matter what and who are committed to making you better. I just got back from breakfast with one of these people in my life. He is not just any friend, but someone I consider to be a true friend. I only have a few such friends--people I can share everything with and who I invite to speak into my life regularly.

Last week I was struggling with the feeling of being overwhelmed while trying to discern where God was leading me. It seemed like I had too many irons in the fire and I was sharing my frustration with my friend. Upon hearing this from me, he said, "Let's get together Saturday to process all this."

So we met Saturday morning...and then into the afternoon. It was an incredible time together and he really helped me to sort some things out and God revealed some great things to me during this time which gave me some clarity.

There were times during our meeting where I just was overwhelmed with emotion and thanksgiving. I was so thankful that God allowed people like him to be in my life. People who will love and accept me, despite all of my issues (of which there are many). People who are willing to give up part of their weekend to help me walk through some things.

On my drive back to my office this morning after my breakfast with this same friend, I reminded myself of how blessed I am to be surrounded with friends like these. I also thought, "Getting together with friends like this to support one another, now, this is doing church."

I share this with you today because I wanted to add something that was not discussed in my last post. Not only will these friends help you to improve in all areas of your life, but you will be incredibly blessed in the process.

If you don't have any friendships like this, my hope is that you would seek them out. These are not things that happen by accident. You must ask people to get together with you and if you feel a connection, then ask if they would be willing to meet regularly.

If you will do this, I promise you will be blessed in more ways than you can imagine.

Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
Hebrews 10:25

No comments: