Monday, June 21, 2010

Men Vs. Boys

On Sunday we arrived at church to find that our pastor had a terrible ear infection and would not be speaking to us. We were told that they had a backup plan and that was for us to watch a video of another pastor delivering a message about the differences between men and boys which was very appropriate for Father's Day. The message was a very good one so I thought I'd share the main points here.

He shared with us six characteristics of a man:
1. A man supports himself and likes to work. Boys doesn't want to work.
2. A man has a vision for his life and is willing to do the things necessary to get there. A boy whines and doesn't want to do hard things.
3. A man is a team player while a boy takes his ball and goes home when things don't go his way.
4. A man is a protector and is looking out for others while a boy only looks out for himself.
5. A man takes a minority position while a boy wants to be with the "in" crowd.
6. A man takes responsibility while a boy passes the buck.

I have been talking a lot lately with my 14 year-old son about what it means to be a man so I was very glad that he was with us and could hear this as well as it was great reinforcement. It was also good for me because I have been a boy in many areas of my life for a long time. How about you--does any of this resonate with you?

When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me.
1 Corinthians 13:11

No comments: