Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Fertilizer


I have posted a couple of times now about a landscaping project that we began a month or so ago in our front yard (post 1 here, post 2 here).

This past weekend, my son Robbie and I were outside and we noticed that there were a ton of weeds in the area that we are growing new grass (see above picture) so we began to remove them. While doing this, Robbie asked me why there were all these weeds here and not in the rest of our lawn.

Great question I thought. I went on to explain that we put down a special fertilizer in the spring which helps to prevent weed seeds from germinating and that I made sure not to get that fertilizer on our new soil, otherwise, in addition to not having weeds we wouldn't have much grass either.

Then I had the opportunity to point out to him about how this is like our life. Without missing a beat he said, "I sense another devotional coming." He was right of course.

I shared with Robbie that our lives can get infested with "weeds" if we don't apply the proper fertilizer...
* Reading the Bible regularly
* Talking with God regularly
* Hanging out with other Christ-followers to hold us accountable
* Keeping a thankful heart

So remember to fertilize.

Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

No comments: