Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Pile of Dirt

Yesterday I had four cubic yards of topsoil dumped on my driveway. That equates to about five tons of dirt. The reason? I had this crazy landscaping idea that everyone in my family thought was nuts. After my first wheelbarrow full of soil, I began to share their opinion.

Monday evening I began this process. After several loads had been moved via wheelbarrow, it seemed like we weren't even putting a dent in the pile. I was beginning to wonder if we would ever get done. I really wanted to give up because it seemed hopeless. Yet, shovel full after shovel full, wheelbarrow full after wheelbarrow full, we finished late this afternoon. In all, it really didn't take as long as I thought, but at first the task seemed daunting. (And by the way, everyone loves how it turned out!)

In the midst of my perspiration producing and back breaking labor (don't you feel sorry for me?), I was thinking of how similar this project is to life. There are things in my life that I know God is working on in me. At times those projects seem so impossible, the goal so unattainable, that I just want to give up. I think, "There's no way I can change." Yet, God is not concerned. Shovel full after shovel full, God refines me. He is never in a hurry.

So even if there is more dirt on your driveway than clean areas, let the Master Gardener do His job one shovel full at a time. Before you know it, your pile of dirt will be gone.

No comments: