Friday, May 14, 2010

Isolation

Right now, my wife and I have three friends who are going through really rough situations. They are all dealing with addictions of different sorts and all are causing incredible damage to themselves and to their family members. It is quite sad to see it unfold.

Two of our friends know Scripture as well as, or better than most people I know. Yet, they have chosen to go down this path during this season of their lives.

Though they are all different situations, there is one similarity which stands out. Each of these people have pulled away from their community prior to this change in their lives. In the past, they were each part of a small group in their church and for whatever reason they stopped being involved.

I am a big proponent of "doing life together." I have seen the fruit of this over the past year and a half in Truth at Work for business leaders as well as over the past six years in the men's group and couples group I am a part of.

This has really hit me right in my heart and given me what I hope is a healthy dose of fear. It has shown me that none of us is infallible. We can all go the wrong direction and, in fact, our human-ness desires that. That is why it is so important for us to surround ourselves with others who can encourage us, challenge us, help us, hold us accountable and love us where we are.


Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
Hebrews 10:25

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally agree. The enemy is seeking whom he may devour and it is hard to devour a community.

Jim Lange said...

You are right on Rebecca! That is why the lion hunts the zebra that is by himself (at least that's what happens whenever I see that on TV)!