Monday, May 24, 2010

Humility

Saturday night, I had the privilege of attending the induction ceremony of the 2010 class into the Ohio Basketball Hall of Fame in Columbus. My college coach, Bob Nichols was inducted along with an incredible group of people.

The event was very well orchestrated and one thing in particular stuck out to me. Each inductee was given instructions that they were to keep their remarks to no longer than two to three minutes. When I heard this, my immediate thought was, Yea, like that's going to happen.

Well, it did. If I had to sum up this entire class of honorees with one word, it would be humility. It seemed that every person who gave remarks took less time than was allotted and they deflected the honor and praise toward their teammates, players, fans, family or friends. Maybe that is why they are now in the hall of fame.

The crucible for silver and the furnace for gold, but man is tested be the praise he receives.
Proverbs 27:21


No comments: