Wednesday, October 08, 2008

The Treasure Principle

For most of my life I felt that financial security was the way to find true peace. That is the way I was raised and that is what I firmly believed. It wasn't until four or five years ago that God took me through a desert experience of sorts that showed me that my one real source of peace is in my Father in heaven.

Obviously, right now is a pretty turbulent economic time. Many are very concerned about the value of their retirement accounts and their portfolios.

I am in the process of reading an excellent book which is helping me even more to put money in the proper perspective, The Treasure Principle by Randy Alcorn. Last night I read an interesting thought regarding the power and value of giving.

Alcorn said in the book to pretend you are a visitor to this country from France and you will be here three months. During that time, you can earn money but the only thing you can't do is bring it home with you (or any of your possessions). However, you can send it ahead of you to your home in France for it to be waiting for you. What would you do?

You more than likely would send as much to your home in France as possible.

Well, that is exactly what giving is for us now. The Bible tells us we are visitors to this planet from our home in heaven. When we hold loosely that which has been entrusted to us and we give, we are in essence sending our treasures ahead of us to our heavenly home.

Any thoughts on this?

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
Matthew 6:19-21

No comments: