Thursday, November 13, 2008

Ownership

Last night, Connie and I attended a meeting at CrossRoads, our church. This meeting was one of three we could attend and it was called by our new lead pastor, Dean Angell.

The purpose of the meeting was to discuss where we are going as a church. Dean began by sharing some of what God has been speaking to him over the past six months and then he asked us to write down and share some of what we envisioned. We had over 150 people in attendance and at first I thought it would be tough for Dean to keep everyone on task, but he did a great job.

I wanted to share this today because I believe Dean presented a tremendous model for any leader to follow when casting a vision.

I used to think that as a leader, you were supposed to come down off the mountain like Moses and announce to the people that we are going in this direction. What I have found is that type of leadership doesn't work anymore. You must get ownership...and that is what Dean did last night.

I believe last night's meeting (and the other two upcoming meetings) was a defining moment in our church's history. I believe everyone in attendance last night felt heard, felt that they matter and they felt as if they are a part of what God is doing in our body of believers.

What a great model to follow!

1. Wait on God (and purposely listen for Him)
2. Present your vision
3. Ask for feedback and listen to others (transfer ownership)
4. Adjust where necessary
5. Go forward
6. Repeat

No comments: