Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Be Careful What You Wish For

I remember watching TV late in 2002 when the winner of the Powerball lottery was announced. Jack Whittaker and his wife were on TV and he was talking about how this was not going to change them. He said he had already cut a check for $17 million to his church and other Christian charities.

I thought to myself, Good for them. They see like great people. What a great Christian example.

This past weekend, I read in my local paper about how his life has fallen apart since then. His wife has left him, his drug-addicted granddaughter has died, his daughter has cancer and he has had numerous run-ins with the law.

Probably the saddest thing I read was when he said, "I don't have any friends. Every friend that I've had, practically, has wanted to borrow money or something and of course, once they borrow money from you, you can't be friends anymore." Very sad.

To read a related article, go here.

But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. Matthew 6:20

No comments: