Friday, September 14, 2007

Humility



I recently signed up for a free 6 month trial of Sports Illustrated magazine. I really don't have the time to be reading that but I figured, it's free, I'll take it. I typically take two minutes and go through the magazine and if I see anything I think might be worth reading I'll read it, but this is pretty rare.

This week had an article about Roger Federer and the sub-headline said "In winning his fourth straight U.S. Open crown and 12th Grand Slam title, Roger Federer left little doubt that no one in the world does anything as he plays tennis." This headline caught my attention and I decided to read the article, not because I am a huge tennis fan but rather because I am a fan of excellence and those who achieve it. I always enjoy learning about what makes people excel.

In reading the article, I was immediately disappointed in Roger Federer. Yes, I respect what he has done on the tennis court, but what disappointed me was his lack of humility in the article.

Here is one quote:

"It's important that people respect what I do, and I think over the past couple of years that has happened. There were times i felt people were like..." He shrugged. "It was a bit strange. But now I almost have the feeling [they know] they're watching greatness."

I don't know about you, but I am drawn to the famous athlete who has humility. I know others feel that way about you and me also, so let's be humble.

No comments: