Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Miscommunication

I just switched health insurance carriers for my family. Two days ago I logged onto their site to assign primary care physicians for each member of my family which went according to plan...or so I thought.

Last night I received an email which said the following:

Dear Mr. Lange,

We received your request to change primary care physicians for you and your wife. Unfortunately, our records indicate that the doctor you selected is contracted to only to see patients between the ages of 10 and 150 years of age.

You need to select a new primary care physician.

I have to admit, I was a little ticked when I first received this because it just means that I need to place a phone call sometime today and probably be placed on hold for what will seem like an eternity. But in a few minutes, I had to laugh. You have to admit, this is a little comical.

When I tried to figure out why I was ticked, it probably had more to do with the fact that I felt like I wasn't listened to--they did not get what I was telling them. Granted, it is a computer program I am talking about and not a real person, but it still upset me.

The same applies with us every day. We are commanded to listen, so let's do that, especially if we are leaders.

Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry. James 1:19b

No comments: