Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The Dash


Several months ago I wrote in my monthly Bleedership newsletter about our dash--that time between our birth and our death and how we choose to spend it. This is what I wrote:

I read something somewhere that really stuck with me. It was a story about a man who had a revelation while sitting in a cemetery where a loved one was buried. He looked around at all the tomb stones and he noticed how each one was very similar.

Each marker told a story. It told the person’s name, their date of birth and their date of death. Some even had a brief sentence such as “A loving husband and father” which inadequately tried to describe the life of that person.

The man began to think of all the untold stories contained in each tomb stone. They each told of the beginning (date of birth) followed by a dash and then the end for that person on earth; however, what happened in between? The man thought, what was in that dash for each of these people?

Then it hit him. We all are living in our dash right now! That little line, that seemingly insignificant hyphen is our very significant life.

So, how is your dash looking? Are you truly living a life worth living in that little line between your birth date and your date of death? Remember – it is your choice!

The reason I bring this up is that two different friends sent me a link to a three minute movie that talks about this very subject. I hope you enjoy! Click here.

3 comments:

Rick said...

Your "dash" is looking pretty good, my friend! Keep at it.

Love ya, bro!

Jim Lange said...

You are too kind--thanks Rick! I am only doing my best to follow the example you set!

Rick said...

Well, my friend, you know where BOTH of our examples come from and, His name is Jesus. ;-)