Thursday, January 10, 2008

I'm Sorry

This morning I had a breakfast meeting. I am working in my home office today so I came home after my meeting just before my son, Robbie was getting on the bus for school. He came to me and gave me a big hug and said "I'm sorry." I asked him what he was sorry for and he said, "for they way I acted yesterday." (He had done some things yesterday that required us to remove some privileges from him for a few days.)

I told him I forgave him. But for some reason I was deeply touched. The hug felt great but I think I was really moved by the way he said he was sorry. I could tell he really meant it--that he was showing humility.

Humility is also a great trait for a leader to have. Robbie's apology reminded me that one of the greatest things a leader can say is "I'm sorry" or "I was wrong."

1 comment:

Rick said...

Well thought and said.