Monday, February 18, 2008

The Power of Habits

Here is something interesting I came across regarding habits:

I am your constant companion.
I am your greatest asset or heaviest burden.
I will push you up to success or down to disappointment.
I am at your command.
Half the things you do might just as well be turned over to me,
For I can do them quickly, correctly, and profitably.
I am easily managed; just be firm with me.
Those who are great, I have made great.
Those who are failures, I have made failures.
I am not a machine, though I work with the precision of a machine
and the intelligence of a person.
You can run me for profit, or you can run me for ruin.
Show me how you want it done. Educate me. Train me.
Lead me. Reward me.
And I will then...do it automatically.
I am your servant.
Who am I?
I am a habit.

What do you think of when it comes to habit? If you are like me you immediately get a twinge in your gut and think about the bad habits you have. But as the above text says, habits can be good as well.

Sometimes when we get bogged down in the details of life we can think that making a small change here and there won't amount to much. But developing good habits can be very powerful and can lead to great things.

If you have a bad habit you would like to change into a good habit, remember what English novelist, Charles Reade once said: “Sow a thought, and you reap an act; Sow an act, and you reap a habit; sow a habit, and you reap a character; sow a character, and you reap a destiny.”

No comments: