Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Pride Before The Fall


Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.
Proverbs 16:18

Pride. It is something that I admit I have an issue with.

Others seem to as well.

I am a Detroit Tigers fan. I have been since I was very young. My grampa would pick me up several times each summer to head up to Tiger Stadium to watch the "boys of summer." It was great fun.

That was in the early '70s and they were pretty good back then. From that point on I was hooked. Then I lived through some very tough years. Until their great year in 1984, it seemed like we weren't out of April and I would already be saying, "Wait till next year!"
So when the Tigers are contenders that is exciting.
This past off-season, the Tigers' front office made some brilliant moves and acquired some all-star players to bolster their already talented team. Most experts were predicting them to contend for the World Series and some were even saying they were the best team in baseball.

I, along with other Tigers' fans, was excited.

We are now 7 games into the season. The Tigers still have a very talented lineup, in fact they have the second highest payroll in all of baseball behind the Yankees. However, the Tigers are the only team in baseball without a win.

0-7. Pitiful.

I think the Tigers may have been reading their press clippings. Once again, another example of the pride before the fall which is a great example for all of us.

2 comments:

Rick said...

Disappointment is greater with high expectations as well. Hopefully they (the players on the team) weren't too caught up in what was being said and expected of them. Their '84 team was a much more humble team of "relative" unknowns though. Heh, that '84 season I was working at Friendly's and used to fight to do dishes so I could be in the back room and listen to the games on the radio.

Jim Lange said...

Rick, and I thought all this time you just had a servant's heart. But no, you just want to hear a baseball game! (With you, you know I am totally kidding!)

I agree about the '84 team. Even last year's team seemed very humble and they seemed like they really enjoyed one another. I hope that by adding all this high priced talent that the team chemistry isn't damaged.

Time will tell.