Monday, August 25, 2008

Class Warfare

One thing I have a hard time with is class warfare. It happens in companies all over the place. I see it all the time...when people complain because someone makes more money than someone else. Most of the time, those complaining don't look at or aren't willing to pay the price to get where they want to be.

This gets exacerbated when the media tries to pit the "haves" versus the "have nots." As if it is just a crap shoot. You either are a winner in life's lottery or you are on the short end of the stick. This is disturbing to me and it very prevalent now, a presidential election year.

In the Toledo Blade this weekend was a story about a person who is struggling to make her $515 monthly mortgage payment and how she feels John McCain is "out of touch" because he didn't know how many houses he owned. She said, "If you have a staff that has to tell you where you own your homes at and how much they're worth and stuff, then you have no flippin' clue."

I'm not exactly sure how to respond to a comment like that. First, I must share that it appears silly not being able to say how many homes you have. However, I don't think this means you "don't have a clue" with everything else.

In my home, I don't know where we keep all the kitchen utensils and many other things. Because I lack this knowledge doesn't make me clueless in every other are of my life (although many would argue).

I wonder if this woman wants the next leader of our country to also be struggling to make his mortgage payments. Don't get me wrong, I know that many good people are struggling now. However, making a decision on our next leader because of class warfare is not going to help this country.

No comments: