Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Compassion



I have a soft spot in my heart for people who work for bad bosses. I had a boss several years ago who was a real tyrant. That experience led me to write the book Bleedership, Biblical First-Aid for Leaders in which I contrast my boss' leadership style with the great leaders of the Bible.

I recently read about a contest in which people were given awards for having the worst bosses. Here is one of the entries:

I had to call an ambulance to take my wife to the hospital one morning. I was due in for work that afternoon. So, as soon as I arrived at the ER and my wife was with the doctor, I called my boss and told him I was at the ER with my wife and she was with the doctor. I told him I would not be in that afternoon. He asked my why I could not come in, to which I replied "Did you not hear what I just told you!" and he then said "You said she was with the doctor." So, I told him again that I would not be in and I hung the phone up.

Then, 6 months later my Grandfather was diagnosed with terminal cancer and was given less than two months to live. When I was explaining the situation to him, he said (I WILL NEVER FORGET THESE WORDS) "I don't know why you are worried about him, he is JUST your Grandfather and he is going to die anyway." I lost my temper and we argued. I later found out from my co-workers that he was mad about me being gone for the funeral. Needless to say, I found a new place to work, and I hope and pray no one ever has to work for someone like him.

This boss obviously had the spiritual gift of mercy...NOT. Compassion was not his strong suit.

I have found that when you treat people as people and not just cogs in the giant wheel, they will work much harder and be more loyal. They will actually care. And who knows, by treating others this way, you might just open a door for them to ask you why you are so different and you will have an open opportunity to talk with them about your faith.

To read more bad boss stories go here.

Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect.
1 Peter 3:15b

No comments: