Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Dedication

So I'm sitting on the beach last week and I see a guy walking across the sand toward the ocean. He looks just like a guy I went to high school with. So I yell out his name. And wouldn't you know it...it is him. He know lives in Chicago and I haven't seen him or spoken to him (other than at a reunion) since 1981. And to prove that our God is a God of grace, that is a picture of the two of us, him wearing a Michigan shirt and me in an Ohio State shirt...and we're both smiling!

We talked briefly throughout the week but were not able to spend any significant time together (we are scheduled to get together the next time he comes into town). Mostly this was because Steve had his three young sons with him and he was enjoying time with them. However, a couple of times when I called, Steve was actually working out...on vacation!

That is dedication and perseverance. I work out when I am at home but I find it extremely difficult to do when I am on vacation. In fact, I don't even plan on it, other than walking on the beach (maybe that is why it is so difficult!). Anyway, I'm sure this was not easy for Steve either, yet he did it anyway.

Isn't this just like life? We are instructed in the book of Philippians to "press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."


No comments: