Thursday, April 16, 2009

Loving Sacrifice

Yesterday was Jackie Robinson Day around Major League Baseball. All players wore his number 42 (Robinson's number) to commemorate the 62nd anniversary of when he broke the color barrier in baseball. This morning on ESPN, they showed a special clip about the impact Jackie had on the game and on this country. They showed different ceremonies in different ballparks around the country. They truly honored him.

Yet, the thing that stuck out to me was an interview that was done with his wife at one of the games yesterday. She said something like this about the early years of her husband's career, "I would sit in the stands and I would hear all the hateful words being yelled at my husband. I would just sit taller in my seat, hopeful that I would be able to block the words from my husband's ears."

Is that cool or what? Those words hurt her and she knew they would hurt her husband. She wanted to take on the hurt so that her husband wouldn't have to. This is true loving sacrifice.

I have heard it said many times that "behind every great man is a great woman." That certainly appears to be the case with Jackie Robinson.

I can tell you that I have a great woman behind me. As we embark on a new and exciting journey in our lives with Truth At Work and some other things God is leading us to, Connie is truly coming alongside me, praying for me, supporting me, loving me and truly being a Proverbs 31 woman. I am so thankful for that!

The truth is, no one can do it alone. So who can you come alongside, pray for, love and support today?

A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth more than rubies. Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.
Proverbs 31:10-11

No comments: