Monday, May 18, 2009

And He Will Give You Rest

A friend of mine, Brian Keel, is the CFO for the Toledo Area YMCAs. He also is quite a writer. He sends out a weekly email devotional that is very thought provoking. This week's is no exception. Because we live in such a fast-paced world, I wanted to share his words from this week here:

As I’m writing this I am wishing that my three-year-old would take her nap. She has had a busy morning and hasn’t taken a nap for several days. The house is nice and quiet….she had a snack and a drink….she’s weary and needs the rest…I’ve provided seemingly everything that she needs…but no luck. What is she waiting for?

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” – Jesus

It’s not just the little ones that forget to take their rest. I think it’s all of us! Perhaps we are still struggling under the burden of trying to earn our favor with God; to justify a spot in heaven through our good works. Perhaps we are confident in our faith but have our foot on the “godly gas pedal” trying to serve others 24/7. Or perhaps we are just plain tired, with the energy needed to sustain work, family and marriages gone.

The verse above from Matthew applies to all those situations and more. One nap refreshes the body for a time, but doesn’t help us a week from now. Sunday morning church time can refresh the soul for a time, but what about the rest of the week? A daily dose of God’s rest is what we really need. It might be prayer, or music or devotional time or maybe even getting more sleep. Whatever it is for you, what are you waiting for?

(shhh… I think she finally went to sleep!)

No comments: