Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Fish Story

I don’t have any problems with professional athletes making the money they make. After all, it is us, the fans, that allow them to get paid what they get paid. I do, however, have a problem with the way these athletes seem so ungrateful for what they have been given. It seems like it is more the rule than the exception anymore, that an athlete demands a higher salary than what was agreed to a year before when he signed his contract. Very disappointing.

I just began listening to the story of Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson on tape (Standing Like a Stone Wall by James Robertson, Jr.). So far, it is fascinating. Jackson is one of America’s great military leaders from the Civil War and the Mexican-American war.

I am learning that he was also a Christian man of great character. Last night I heard of “the fish story.” Apparently, when he was a youngster, it was told that Mr. Conrad Koester offered to pay him $.50 for each pike that Thomas would catch. This went on for quite some time and Thomas was paid quite well as he was quite the fisherman.

One day, he caught a 36” whopper and was carrying it down the street. One man yelled out that he wanted to buy the fish for a dollar.

Thomas said, “It’s sold to Mr. Koester!”

“I’ll give you a dollar and a quarter.”

“If you are going to get any of this fish, you are going to have to get it from Mr. Koester.”

When he presented the fish to Mr. Koester, Koester wanted to pay him double for it.

Thomas said, “No sir. You have paid me for a lot of small fish. I won’t take any more for this one.”

How many would have taken the better offer from someone else? I know most of today’s athletes would have. Isn’t it refreshing to hear stories of young Stonewall Jackson and the integrity that he exhibited?

4 comments:

Marcus Goodyear said...

That is a wonderful story! Is it true?

Marcus Goodyear said...

I couldn't let this one go. Something about the story made my brain itch. Then I wondered, would it have been wrong for Jackson to sell the fish for a higher price?

Sure, it demonstrates incredible loyalty to his employer that he kept the fish. Plus it makes a great story. But we tend to honor market forces in our country.

Surely, the higher price he was being offered was just market forces in action.

I guess I'm nervous about this story being an example of integrity (rather than loyalty) because I'm pretty sure I would have sold the fish for a higher price. I'm a bit scummy that way, maybe.

Jim Lange said...

Marcus, yes, I believe it is true. It was mentioned in the biography as a famous tale from Stonewall Jackson's childhood. I am stating this with faith that the author checked this out, however, I suppose it could be that this is simply folklore of some sort. I also agree with you on this being an example of loyalty. However, I also believe that integrity is part of this as he had a pre-determined financial arrangement with this man, or a contract. I agree that this contract did not sound like it was exclusive, but it was a contract.

I thought this was pretty refreshing to hear when we hear things that are the polar opposite of this all around us today. Thanks for your thoughts!

Anonymous said...

Nice story -- true or legendary. Missed getting to speak with you personally today -- but it was nice to see you and to get in a visit with Connie.