Friday, June 19, 2009

Love and Support

As Chapter President, I get the privilege to lead three Truth At Work roundtable groups in the NW Ohio area. In these 4 hour monthly meetings, one of the hours is spent in what we call open roundtable time. During this time members will share their most pressing issues with the group in hope of getting helpful feedback from a Biblical point of view.

To begin this time, I will ask each member to tell me what their roundtable score is for the month. This is a ranking of the severity level of their issue. The two highest ranking issues are what we will spend that hour discussing...a half hour for each. In most meetings there will be an "8" or a "9" and maybe a "6" or "7".

In a recent meeting of one of our groups that has been together for 8 months, the group of 10 individuals didn't have one roundtable issue that was scored above a "5". I thought the group was "sandbagging" and holding back so I told them what I thought was going on.

One of the members responded by saying, "Jim, I have to say that, because of the love and support from this group, my '8' and '9' issues now feel like '3' and '4' issues." The rest of the group agreed.

Wow. I was not expecting that.

That really showed me the power of community. We were made to do life together!

Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.
Ecclesiastes 4:12

No comments: