Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Contentment

On my drive to Archbold, Ohio (about an hour west of Toledo) for some meetings this morning, I finished up listening to the story of Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson on tape (Standing Like a Stone Wall by James Robertson, Jr.). This was loaned to me by a good friend as it is not something I would normally listen to or read. It really surprised me--it was quite good and filled with some great leadership nuggets.

At the very end of Stonewall Jackson's life, he had been shot during the Civil War and was losing lots of blood. They decided to amputate his left arm and as he was recovering, the chaplain was very concerned with the fact that Jackson's arm could not be saved. Jackson answered him, "This is a blessing from God that I do not understand. I shall know what it means either in this world or the next. I am perfectly content."

How cool is that?!

I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything in through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:12-13

No comments: