Friday, November 20, 2009

The Heart of a Champion

Stefanie Spielman and her family on the field at halftime of a game in September.
Stefanie Spielman, wife of OSU linbacker great, Chris Spielman passed away yesterday after a lengthy bout with cancer. This is very sad for the Buckeye Nation but it is also something worth celebrating.

Chris said this in an article which appeared today in the Columbus Dispatch, "Stefanie has gone home to be with the Lord," he said. "For that, we celebrate, but with broken hearts. I want to thank everyone for their support. ... Together, with your help, hopefully we made a difference in this fight."

When they received the news, they decided to use this for good. She said this shortly after her diagnosis, "I know there's a reason God gave me breast cancer, and I'm supposed to do something with it," she said that year.

This family is an inspiration to me in many ways and as I have read more about Stefanie, my admiration for her has grown. You can get a glimpse of her faith and positive spirit in these words: "I do not feel sorry for myself. I do not wish this would have happened to anyone else," she wrote on July 11, 1998. "I pray I grow stronger with each passing day. I cannot let this get the best of me, and I will not let this ruin the rest of my life -- no matter how long it is."

What a great example of how to live. Prayers to the Spielman family!

Go Bucks!


We also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.
Romans 5:3b-5

No comments: