Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Pain's Purpose


On Sunday, our pastor delivered a message about how God can, and often, uses our pain from our past to help others who are going through some tough times in their lives. During his sermon he said, "There is a purpose behind your pain. Your greatest contribution or ministry will probably not come from your strengths. It will come from your struggles."

As I reflected on my life, I had to agree with him. One of the toughest periods of my life was when I was VP of Sales for a company in town. I had a boss who was an absolute tyrant. He would rant, rave and cuss at me and others. He would throw things. He even once ripped the thermostat off the wall when he was hot. It was an extremely unhealthy environment. I was stressed beyond the max and it impacted every area of my life, and maybe most of all my family.

However, looking back on this I am so thankful that God placed my boss in my life. While it was brutal, it led to me writing the book Bleedership, Biblical First-Aid for Leaders in which I contrast my boss' leadership style with that of the great leaders in the Bible. As a result of that, the trajectory of my life has been changed drastically. I know that through my tough times there are some people who have been helped.

If you are going through a period of difficulty, know that God is preparing you for ministry, to impact others. God never wastes a hurt!

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.
2 Corinthians 1:3-4

No comments: