Tuesday, November 03, 2009

I Hate My Job!

I received this article in an email the other day from my friend, Doug Spada, president of WorkLife, an incredible organization which helps the local church to connect the dots when it comes to faith in the workplace. If you have ever hated your job, this is for you:

The American Workplace Survey, conducted by Harris Interactive this month found that almost half (48%) of workers are not satisfied with the relationship they have with their boss, and the majority (59%) of workers are not satisfied with the level of support they receive from their colleagues. Seventy-seven percent are not satisfied with the strategy and vision of the company and its leadership. Click here for full article.

Even in these challenging time where having a job is a blessing, a recent survey of a major municipality's employees reflected that more than 60% were unhappy in their work. One employee was quoted, "I feel miserable. My morale is lower than it's ever been. It has been difficult to even come to work." Click for survey results. (2009 Employee Morale Survey - Baltimore Dept of Public Works)

I am quite certain that some of you have a job you really hate. If you could, you would quit tomorrow but you feel like you're in a prison because you need this job, you've got time invested in it, you're not sure you could find another one, but you hate your job. If you're having those kinds of problems, I strongly urge you to read on because the Bible has some good ideas for you.


As I travel around the country talking to people, it seems to me that more people are discontent with their jobs than ever before. Undoubtedly the economic climate has a lot to do with that, since jobs are difficult to find and many feel trapped in their jobs. Also, workloads seem to be much higher, and the loyalty between employees and employers seems much lower. So, if you find yourself in a job you really don't like, you've got company.

I can understand your feelings, because I've had a job or two like that myself. But the Apostle Paul wrote to the Philippians:...I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation....I can do everything through him who gives me strength (Phil. 4:11-13).

So, I want to talk about how to be content in a job you hate. You know, when you and I learn this secret of being content, as Paul learned it, we can't lose because our fulfillment and satisfaction are not based on circumstances - not based on whether we have a terrific job that we love, or one that we hate!

Keep in mind that Paul had to learn this technique of being content, and so do you and I. So, are you willing to enroll in Contentment 101, and learn how to be content in your job? That's where it begins. If you're not willing to learn to be content, of course, you never will learn it.

If you insist on saying, "I hate this job, I refuse to change my attitude toward this job, I could never be content with this job and furthermore I don't want to be content with it," then you've already prevented God from changing you and giving you a new heart and a new attitude.

First of all, you have to give up your rights. Most of us think things like, "I don't deserve this job," or "I deserve to have a fulfilling job," or "It's not right that I have to work at a job that doesn't utilize my talents," or "I can't be expected to endure the kind of treatment I get on my job." That's just our normal selfish nature, which has been fed and fired up by our humanistic society, teaching us "We have our rights."

Dear friend, if you want to be a contented person, you must first of all tell God that you recognize you have no rights to all that you think you have a right to. If you're a child of God, you belong to Him and He is the Master. Are you willing to give up your "rights" to have the job you want, and to allow yourself to be contented where you are? That is step one in being content in a job you hate.

Maybe you're thinking, "Well, why would God punish me with a job like this?" Let me assure you that God is not trying to make your life miserable. Just the opposite - He has plans for you that are good. But He can't work those plans for you until you surrender your rights to Him. Most of the time God does not deliver us from difficult situations until we have learned to be content and to accept them. That is how we learn to trust God and have faith in Him, and without faith it's impossible to please God.

So, step one in being content in a job you hate is to give up your rights for the perfect job and tell God you are willing to stay there and give Him control.

3 comments:

LaDonna said...

Wow - i "goggled" i hate my job and this is the first link i clicked. I've been struggling with pretty much everything lately especially my realationship with God. Your post reaffirmed what that little voice in the back of my head has been saying for awhile now. I need to get back to reading the Bible and spending time with God. I've read that passage you quoted many times and I guess that I will find contentment with my life in God. Thanks for your post!

Jim Lange said...

LaDonna, thank you so much for your encouraging comments! I am glad this was helpful to you! I also want to let you know that my new Blog is now at www.5feet20.com. You can also sign up to have it emailed to you each time I post. I hope to see you there! Blessings to you!

Free Your Mind said...

That has to be THE DUMBEST rationale for hating your job, because GOD wants you to surrender to him....You are the moron who signed up for the job, God didn't make you. You people have got to give this God thing a fucking rest. You are in control of your own life, your own choices, and your own thoughts. Not some man in the sky who always needs your money. This is why you Christians are soooo sad all the time because you never take control of your own life, you are always waiting for God to handle it. Everything will work out if you work hard. Don't need God for that, just yourself. Idiots....